Javier A. Alvarez is a partner in ARHMF’s Corporate and Financial Services Group. His practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions and corporate clients in transaction and regulatory matters. In particular, Mr. Alvarez represents clients in complex domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, finance transactions, joint ventures, and other cross-border and domestic transactions. Mr. Alvarez also regularly advises clients on a broad range of regulatory, compliance and corporate governance matters.
Before joining ARHMF, Mr. Alvarez served as Vice President, Assistant General Counsel for a local financial institution, providing corporate and banking regulatory advice, and serving as lead counsel in various types of financing transactions. Mr. Alvarez began his career working for several years as an associate at an AmLaw 100 international firm where he worked on a number of cross-border and domestic transactions.
- Speaker, "Outsourcing CIP and Account Opening Functions," South Florida Compliance Association Event
- Speaker, “BSA/AML Issues in Trade Finance,” Conference of State Bank Supervisors Training Session
- Speaker, “Beneficial Ownership and Customer Due Diligence,” South Florida Compliance Association Event
Awards & Recognition
Financial Services M&A
- Represented Banco de Credito e Inversiones (BCI), the third largest bank in Chile, in the purchase of City National Bank of Florida from Bankia, S.A., for a purchase price of U.S. $946,900,000, including due diligence, negotiation of the purchase agreement, U.S. regulatory filings and all other transactional matters.
- Represented group of foreign investors in the acquisition of Espirito Santo Bank from the Portuguese bank, Banco Espirito Santo, including due diligence, negotiation of the purchase agreement, U.S. regulatory filings and all other transactional matters
- Advised a number of domestic and international financial institutions in connection with their U.S. bank merger and acquisition activities. Such representation has included the structuring and negotiation of transaction terms, and the filing of applications with various Federal and State bank regulatory agencies.
- Represented a number of individuals and organizations in their investments in depository institutions under U.S. banking laws and regulations, including the Bank Holding Company Act, the Change in Bank Control Act, and Regulation Y.
Regulatory Advisory Matters
- Represented foreign banks in establishing a banking presence in the U.S., as well as their expansion and divestment before different bank regulatory agencies.
- Acted as U.S. regulatory counsel to several Spanish banks in respect of the significant restructuring and mergers occurring in the Spanish caja banking system during 2010-2012. In connection therewith, prepared various regulatory applications and notices for the related bank holding companies and the establishment and closing of local offices.
- Represented a number of domestic and foreign banks in connection with regulatory enforcement actions, including substantial experience dealing with different bank regulatory agencies.
- Advised various banks and other financial institutions in connection with BSA/AML/OFAC compliance matters.
- Represented a number of financial institutions and borrowers in domestic and foreign financing transactions, including asset-based loans, acquisition financings, trade finance, and secured and unsecured bilateral and syndicated credit facilities.
- As Assistant General Counsel for a local financial institution, served as lead counsel in various domestic and foreign finance transactions.
- Represented aircraft operating lessors and international airlines in a broad range of transactions in the aircraft financing area.
Cross-Border M&A/General Corporate
- Represented a U.S. enterprise imaging and document solutions company in the sale of its Central and South American business units to a Japanese electronics company.
- Represented a Latin America-based internet business in its sale to one of Latin America’s largest e-commerce companies.
- Represented mobile home park operator in the sale of its company.
- Represented foreign airline in multiple aircraft acquisition transactions, each valued at over $50,000,000.
- Represented a Miami-based real estate investment firm in connection with a preferred equity transaction used to facilitate the acquisition of a multifamily apartment community.