Mr. Rivero is a Partner in the Firm’s Tax and Estate Planning Practice where he focuses on international tax planning, business succession planning, probate and trust litigation, U.S. tax compliance, and tax controversy work. Mr. Rivero has extensive experience servicing high net worth international families and businesses with both inbound and outbound U.S. tax business planning, income tax treaty planning, expatriation, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate and partnership tax matters, succession planning with the use of Private Trust Companies (PTCs), individualized pre-immigration plans for high net worth foreign individuals seeking to relocate to the United States and U.S. income and transfer tax aspects of foreign trusts and estates. Stemming from his ample experience, Mr. Rivero has represented clients before the United States Tax Court and the Internal Revenue Service and assisted clients with offshore tax compliance (both OVDI and the Streamlined Programs).
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Rivero was a private wealth and tax associate at an AmLaw 100 international law firm following a ten-year tenure as a revenue agent working for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). There he gained significant experience handling a variety of complex tax matters for the IRS including both domestic and international tax issues.
Mr. Rivero has presented on various tax topics at international and local forums including for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. Mr. Rivero has been quoted in Tax Notes, MSN and Univision among other media sites.
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2015-2016
- Florida Legal Elite, 2014, 2016
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Speaker at FIBA 2016 AML Conference on "Estate and Succession Planning for Multinational Families."
- STEP Mexico "Beneficiarios estadounidenses de fideicomisos extranjeros." November, 2015.
- FIBA Webinar "Community Property Issues Affecting Latin American Clients of US Financial Institutions" September, 2015.
- New York Life-LAT Leadership Summit “Advanced Planning & Wealth Management Topics for Multinational Families" November, 2014.
- American Woman’s Society of Certified Public Accountants South Florida Chapter Presented "International Tax Compliance," February, 2012.
- FICPA Gold Coast Chapter "International Tax Update" January, 2012.
- Suncoast Estate Planning Council "The Tightening Noose of International Tax Compliance for U.S. Taxpayers" November, 2010.
- "The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act," Journal of Accountancy, August 2010.
- "Increased Disclosure, Penalties, and Audit Periods Courtesy of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act," Journal of Taxation, May 2010.
- "Act Now to Prepare for IRS Employment Tax Audit Initiative," Practical Tax Strategies, March 2010.